BEST SUPER BOWL EVER!!!!!!
Every year I feel like I race around and hang out with people for the 1st half and different people for the 2nd half -- and let's not even talk about how badly I end up eating. So I decided this year to do something different....its called saying NO and focusing on Karen. And that is just what I did. and it is absolutely fantastic. Actually, its been a NO weekend - starting out with our "no-snow" day Friday. I just said no to everything and stayed at home.
I've still been sick and spent a LOT of time in bed this weekend. I have a cough that makes other people cringe (and we won't even begin to say how it makes me feel!) and it keeps me up at night. I'm ready for this to be over -- I'm on my second round of steroids and my third round of amoxicillin....in two months. I'll repeat that again too - READY FOR THIS SICKNESS TO BE OVER!
The good thing about spending so much time at home was that I was able to read...a lot. I've talked alot about Gregg Matte's book -- I am still in the thick of it -- and I love it. And one of the staff at work who has been on a weight loss journey about as long as I have been gave me another book - we had both heard about it on KSBJ and I told her about it and she ran out and bought a copy for me for being so supportive of her during her journey.
Its called Made To Crave by Lysa TerKuerst. It is amazing. I wish I could totally explain how it hits home - but it does it in so many ways I don't even know where to start. There are so many things in this book that made me laugh, but even more that made me cry. Its probably the first book I have read every word in -- and most two to three times. And if you know me, I can pound out a 500 page book in a matter of hours. This one is like 200 and I've been reading it for days. But that's probably because more times than I can count I put the book down and through my tears I prayed...about so many things.
It just hit home. Its just that good. Its just what I needed.
If you have ever struggled with something -- whether it is food, or physical relationships with boys, or just doing things that you know you shouldn't do, but you do anyway...and you get in that trend of doing it, feeling great at that moment, then the next morning feeling guilty and then you just get ugly -- to yourself, to others....yeah. If you know that trend, this book is really for you. It spends a lot of talking about turning all of those cravings into cravings for God.
And my favorite quote is "it is permissible, but is it beneficial?" I can think of so many situations where if I would have stopped and thought for just a second about something I wanted to do -- whether it was eat that whole bag of pretzel M&Ms, or buying those new shoes from Nordstoms, or even kissing that boy (that I knew I shouldn't have) -- is this beneficial? I'd probably have done a few things different. Needless to say, that quote is becoming part of my new mantra.
I love the book...I love the things it has made me think about....I love the things I have prayed about and asked God to take off my plate -- and been able to ask for forgiveness for...I love that it gave me a "took kit" -- whether it is bible verses or quotes or a thought process to go through when you get in a that situation with a piece of chocolate cake or those cute pumps I just have to have from Nordies....I love that it made me think about my relationship with God in a new way -- one that doesn't include denying myself things -- but living in the parameters that God has set for me...I love that it opened my eyes.
And with that - I am off to finish it. I hope everyone has a great week!
1 comment:
I want to borrow it when you're done. Plans today? I'm around with kids, Justin's working....xoxo
Post a Comment